From the Alumni President
As you may have heard directly from Cal Maritime President Tom Cropper, from the Academy website, or read in the Cal Maritime magazine, the president’s vision is defined by “Honor, Believe, Lead”. He will honor the traditions of the Academy, many of which he has learned from his conversations with alumni around the country. Those include the values of personal responsibility, leadership and teamwork, which have been developed through the shared experiences of alumni while cadets at our Academy. Clearly, we’ve all experienced academic learning in the classroom sessions, but we’ve likely learned just as much in our time aboard the Training Ship and in campus life. And, certainly, that includes those memorable, “goofy” experiences that are shared quietly, with a wink!
Upperclassmen have always helped underclassmen; alumni have always helped other alumni, as well as current cadets. It’s what we do! Now, there are some new opportunities for us to provide that help.
Your Alumni Association Board of Directors has set some specific goals for the Association for the coming year. You can help achieve those goals by investing your own time. The goals are separated into three broad categories, with opportunities included within each of the categories:
Engaging the Young Alumni/Cadets
- Cal Maritime Mentoring – Offer academic, career and life advice to a current cadet.•
- Connect a Cadet to Industry – Offer to introduce a group of cadets to your career and your industry. Provide a facility tour. Help them understand your business.
- Alumni in the Classroom – Be a single presenter or part of a panel discussion on campus; talk about your industry. No one knows it better than you!
- Internship/Co-Op Placement – Help place one of the many cadets who need to identify summer internships.
Engaging other Alumni
- Cal Maritime Mentoring – Noted above, mentoring is not necessarily restricted to current cadets. Help another grad!
- “Lost” Alumni – Be the Class Scribe for your class. Help to locate contact information for more classmates, so they will be aware of events and progress on campus.
- Distinguished Alumni Award – Nominate a grad who has demonstrated a significant career and support for Cal Maritime.
- Rising Star Alumni Award – Nominate young grad, within 15 years after graduation, who has, in that short period of time, already made an impact on society.
These are activities that will have focus and action from your Association in the coming year. Please join the Directors, with a few hours of your time. Think back to your learning time at Cal Maritime and remember how rewarding it was to help someone else. Help the current cadets, help your fellow alumni and support the Academy.
It’s what we’ve always done! It’s what we’ll do in the future!
Please contact me if you have questions or ideas for support at email@example.com.
Pascha McAlister, ’07-ME
CSU Maritime Academy Alumni Association President